If your dog is stung by a scorpion, it’s unlikely to kill him, but it will definitely ruin his day! I didn’t know how to properly care for our dogs if they were stung by a scorpion, so I was grateful when Emily Buchanan offered to share her experience in a guest post.
Emily lives in the UK, and her dog was stung by a scorpion on a trip to Spain. But this situation could have easily happened in the United States. Think you only need to worry about running into scorpions in the desert southwest? They can actually be found in 29 states!
*This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your support.*
When seeking to avoid some of the stresses of traveling with kids, camping is a great option. Deep down in the cavernous peripheries of my girlhood, the sun-kissed, hippie inside me will always be in love with the idea of a camping holiday.
Plus, it means our two Labradors, Ash and Logan, can go too. And this year we did just that! Took the kids and dogs on a camping trip to Alicante, Spain.
I like to think of myself as a savvy traveler. If backpacking around Asia in my early twenties was doable, camping in my
mid *cough* late forties should be a breeze, right? But, up until now, I’ve never left the country with my dogs.
The campsite we chose was super pet-friendly. It even had an onsite vet that proved invaluable! And before we left the UK, I organized everything with military precision, packing an adult first aid kit, a kid first aid kit, and a dog first aid kit.
Our car was stuffed with safety precautions. However, I had overlooked one very important little thing: scorpions.
In my mind, scorpions were reserved to the wilds of Arizona or the desolation of the Sahara. We certainly weren’t going to find them in a sea-side resort on the Costa Blanca. Therefore, when Ash lay whimpering under the camper one night, and Logan was bashfully bating the grass with his paw, I couldn’t figure out what was going on.
It was only when Logan placed a dead scorpion proudly at my feet that I realized why Ash was hiding. He’d been stung!
READ MORE ⇒ Seven Essentials for Desert Hiking with Dogs
I didn’t have the first clue about scorpions. As far as I was concerned they were deadly, and their venom would bring a quick end to my beloved pooch. I panicked, of course, and ran barefoot through the night with my seven-year-old Lab crying in my arms.
Only adrenaline carried me across the campground to the vet’s trailer. And, after banging on the door with the vigor of a deranged lunatic, the vet emerged with an expression of fatigue and annoyance. That soon faded when he saw the state of my poor dog!
Thankfully, the vet was fully equipped for this incident. Though Mediterranean scorpions aren’t fatal, they can mean bad business for dogs with an allergy to the venom.
The vet removed the stinger from Ash’s nose, applied a cold compress, and gave him a pain reliever and Benadryl. After a thorough checking over and some much needed love, Ash fell sound asleep on the vet’s floor.
Ash spent the next few days looking swollen and grumpy, but he was back to his old self by the end of the week. The only lasting effect is that he’s now petrified of beetles and insects.
Thus, I advise all pet owners to familiarize yourself with any potential threatening characters in the area you’ll be traveling. Make sure you know what the dangerous species look like, and never put yourself (or your dogs) in any questionable situations. Below are the lessons we learned from this trip.
Not everyone has such easy access to a vet while on holiday. We were very lucky. If you suspect that your dog has been stung, finding a vet is a priority.
A word of caution: Scorpion stings are very, very painful so you must do whatever you can to relieve your dog’s pain. These steps might take two people because your dog may struggle to get away. Stick with it – your dog will be grateful later.
Until you’re able to get to a vet, here are some immediate actions you can take to help your dog:
After your pet receives medical attention, you should continue to monitor him for several days to be sure there’s not a delayed reaction to the venom. If you see any of these symptoms, it’s time for another trip to the vet!
Disclosure: I am not a veterinary professional, and these tips should be practiced with extreme caution. If your dog is stung by a scorpion, you should call your veterinarian immediately.
About the Author: Emily Buchanan lives in the U.K. with her husband, kids, and beloved dogs, Ash and Logan. She’s an avid traveler and enjoys sharing what she learns on her pet-friendly adventures.
Guest Posts on GoPetFriendly.com: We love sharing stories from people having fun traveling with their pets! And reading your pet travel experiences may be just the nudge someone else needs to pack up and head out with their own best friend. If you’re interested in writing a guest post for Take Paws, let us know!
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.